POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : post_process suggestions? : Re: post_process suggestions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post_process suggestions?
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 1 May 2000 05:29:13
Message: <390d4e69$1@news.povray.org>
>In development:
>find_edges
>    The "cartoon-like" filter. It basically works, but still needs a lot
>of work.

I saw your test images of the find_edges-filter. That one is very useful,
although what _I_ personally miss is the ability to make the image look more
like a wire-frame-model. I have developed an algorithm (well... not
actually... actually not at all...) that might work: One takes the depth
information and interprets that as a graph of the two coordinate-axes, thus
implying a function depth(x, y). The natural place to put such a
"wire-frame-line" would be where this function have "breaks", kinda like
discontinuities. (For example in the intersection between two spherers.) If
one takes the gradient of depth(x, y) one obtains a 2-vector-field, and
taking the norm of that gives g(x, y). Taking the norm og the gradient of
that function, gives h(x, y). Where this h(x, y) takes on very large values,
we have a discontinuity in the image. Or so I think. I've never actually
tried it out... Could it be of interest?

Another post-process (or is it postprocess?): The ability to make a r/b or
g/r or whatever anaglyph for use with those 3d-glasses.

Simen.